If you are having a summer wedding, you should consider serving canapés. If you are not familiar with the term, canapés are a type of hors d'ourvre that is served on top of a bread or cracker base. One example of canapés that you are probably familiar with is bruschetta. However, there are many tasteful canapés options beyond bruschetta that you can serve either before or after you main meal at your summer wedding.
One of the best things about canapés is that meat is not necessary at all. There are numerous meat-free canapés options you can serve at your wedding that are still tasty. In fact, your guests will not even realize they are enjoying a vegetarian canapé; they will just think they are enjoying a particularly tasty appetizer.
- Instead of going with a traditional bruschetta, put some ricotta cheese on top of crisp bread. Then top the ricotta cheese with some slow-roasted tomatoes and a little fresh basil. This will create a refreshing, tomato based treat.
- Top off some pumpkin seed toast with some chilled watercress and a little dollop of honey soup. The honey soup gives this canapé a sweet taste, while the chilled watercress gives it a little crispness.
- On top of a large herb cracker, place a small marbleized quail egg that is sprinkled with some smoked paprika and is topped off with a little dollop of herb infused mayonnaise. It's like an elegant breakfast sandwich on top of a cracker.
- You can also serve up some delightful cucumber tea sandwiches, topped with a little feta and fresh mint. This particular canapé has a rather refreshing taste to it.
If you are able to keep the canapés chilled, you can always serve some fresh fish canapés. Just make sure that you can keep them cool before you serve them and that you don't let them sit out in the hot sun for too long.
- If you decide to serve some fish canapés, you have to do an ahi tuna inspired canapé. Ahi tuna is so refreshing and elegant, and would look so cute on top of toasted bread. Keep it simple by pairing the ahi tuna with some toasted sesame seeds.
- Another classic is smoked tuna. It has so much flavor on its own that you really don't need to add a whole lot more. However, if you are feeling adventurous, a cracker or piece of bread topped with some smoked salmon, quail egg, and hollandaise sauce can be very delightful. The foodies at your wedding will love it.
- For something a little different, serve up some salt cod mouse with some Parmesan and avruga caviar on top of a cheesy bread.
Canapés are easy to handle, making them the perfect appetizer choice in between your wedding ceremony and reception. If you plan on having your wedding last well into the evening, you may want to consider serving these tasty canapés after the dinner. Be sure to talk to your caterer to see which of the canapés above they could create for your summer wedding.
For more information, contact Soups Sandwiches & More or a similar company.